Kedarkantha Peak is best as a winter trek - December to March. It is a full snow trek during these months.
While trekking from Sankri to Juda Ka Talab, you will see the first snow on the first day of the trek.
Moreover, Kedarkantha is one of the few treks accessible in winter. The Himalayas are not always accessible in winter – most of the trails are heavily snowed and the weather is unpredictable, making the entire trek impassable. But the Kedarkantha peak promises a fair amount of snow and at the same time gives you access to a peak of 12,500 feet!
Experience beautiful campsites, where each site is unique in its own way and unmatched in beauty by any other campsites on the trip. Also, get a chance to camp around the frozen Juda Ka Talab which was once a place of meditation for Lord Shiva.
The Kedarkantha peak is marked by an arrangement of stones with tridents pointing to the sky. Climbing the peak at sunrise is a heavenly feeling. The majestic peaks around us have a unity of beauty and a wonderful golden light that seems to have come from another age. It is a sight beyond all superiority!
Folk TellKedarkantha – Lord Shiva’s Retreat
Kedarkantha is also known as Bal-Kedar and according to a local legend; it was supposed to be the site of Kedarnath. It is said that when Shiva was wandering at Kedarkantha in his bull avatar, to hide from the Pandavas, the local dwellers disturbed his peace. Therefore, he fled to the present Kedarnath site. The villagers of Sankri believe that the trident of Lord Shiva, erected at Kedarkantha protects them and keeps the Himalayan Rivers replenished.
Travel Tips ForKedarkantha Trek
• Kedarkantha is an easy to moderate difficulty-level trek and thus a perfect trek for amateur trekkers or novice adventurers trekking for the first time.
• Try to keep your backpack around 10-12 kg.
• Explore the vast remote wilderness in the company of experienced professionals or certified trek guides only. With a vast experience under their belt, they would know how to tackle any adversity.
• Make sure to take a good camera with you as there will be vast opportunities to click photographs of snow-clad Himalayan peaks and verdant valleys. The dark, clear skies at Kedarkantha are also perfect for astrophotography and capturing the Milky Way.
Upon your arrival at Dehradun (Uttarakhand), a representative of SG-Trekkers will be waiting to welcome you. After the meet and greet, we will proceed to Sankri Base Camp by private vehicle. The distance from Dehradun to Sankri is about 200 km and takes about 8-9 hours to drive.
Reach Sankri, in the early evening; You will be transferred to the hotel. There you will freshen up and relax. In the evening, a pre-trek briefing will be given where the allotment of your trekking equipment such as rucksacks, gaiters, microspikes, etc. will be arranged along with an introduction to the guide.
Overnight at Sankri Base Camp.
Day 1: Highlights
• Accommodation: Guesthouse (on triple sharing basis) • Meals: Dinner
Day 2Sankri to Juda Ka Talab (9,000 ft.)
Start early after breakfast for Juda Ka Talab, the first campsite from Sankri. The trek distance is only 5 km and it is easy to reach Juda Ka Talab Campsite.
Look out for the Woodpecker birds along the way as they are common in the region. On the way see a large green meadow, which is commonly used as a lunch point for trekkers. Swargarohini peak (20,510 feet) can be seen from here. The trek is easy and full of amazing views.
Overnight stay at Juda-Ka-Talab.
Day 2: Highlights
• Altitude Gain / Loss (ft.): ⇑ 2,600 ft.; ⇓ 0 ft. • Walk (approx.): 5 hrs., 5 km. • Accommodation: Campsite – Stay in a Tent (on triple sharing basis) • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 3Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Camp (11,200 ft.)
The trek from Juda-Ka-Talab Campsite to Kedarkantha Base Camp is short but starts early to suit the snow conditions. Juda-Ka-Talab comes as soon as you start the trek. At this stage of the year the lake is almost frozen. It takes about 3 to 4 hours to reach the Kedarkantha base camp from the lake.
At night, the snow-capped mountain peaks glow like the moon and you can clearly see the Kedarkantha peak from the campsite. Go to bed early to get ready for the early summit.
Day 3: Highlights
• Altitude Gain / Loss (ft.): ⇑ 2,150 ft.; ⇓ 0 ft. • Walk (approx.): 3 hrs., 5 km. • Accommodation: Campsite – Stay in a Tent (on triple sharing basis) • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 4Kedarkantha Base Camp to Kedarkantha Summit (12,500 ft.) to Hargaon Camp (8,450 ft.)
Start trekking early from Kedarkantha base camp as today is summit day. The climb is moderately steep and the views are worth it. The trail cuts through an oak forest and opens up a steep climb up the north ridge. You will reach Kedarkantha Peak from Kedarkantha Base Camp in generally less than three hours, a lot depending on your speed, summit line and weather.
Kedarkantha peak is situated at a height of 12,500 feet above sea level, the way the light comes and what happens in the sky is amazing, you will see different colours in the sky. Some of the most spectacular views of the Yamunotri and Gangotri mountain ranges can be seen from this peak.
At the summit, we will spend some time and return to the Kedarkantha Base Camp for a warm and delicious lunch. After some short rest, the participants will continue their descent to the Hargaon campsite which takes around two hours. Enjoy an evening under the sky with fresh memories of the summit.
Day 4: Highlights
• Altitude Gain / Loss (ft.): ⇑ 1,250 ft.; ⇓ 3,600 ft. • Walk (approx.): 8 hrs., 7 km. • Accommodation: Campsite – Stay in a Tent (on triple sharing basis) • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 5Hargaon Camp to Sankri (6,400 ft.)
The last day of the trek is easy with slopes to descend. It usually takes 3-4 hours to get down from Hargaon to Sankri. After reaching Sankri, you will stay in the same hotel as on Day 1. Enjoy the evening and rest properly.
Day 5: Highlights
• Altitude Gain / Loss (ft.): ⇑ 0 ft.; ⇓ 2,500 ft. • Walk (approx.): 3 hrs., 6 km. • Accommodation: Guesthouse (on triple sharing basis) • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 6Drive to Dehradun from Sankri
After breakfast, you will start your journey early. It will take about 9 to 10 hours to reach Dehradun, say 7.30 – 8 pm. Please plan your next journey accordingly.
See you soon and cherish the memories of Kedarkanth forever!
Day 6: Highlights
• Meals: Breakfast
Personal Adventure InsuranceVia ASC360 (Level 2 - Trekking up to 6,000 m)